Thursday, September 5, 2013

THE SURGERY

I am writing about my experience dealing with women's breast issues and going through what I believe was the most difficult time in my life.

 I hope to open the dialogue and inspire women to talk about their experiences, fears, anxiety, hopes and dreams. Many women may be considering this treatment option and would like to hear from someone who has gone through it.

This post may come across as being negative, but I want you to know that I am doing my best to provide you with a true account of my experience and my physical and emotional state during the process.

I sure wish someone had given me the "true story" or even attempted to prepare me for every possible outcome.

After exercising and eating Paleo for 6+ months my surgery date was finally around the corner. I was about to undergo a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. I had done countless hours of research online and read numerous breast cancer blogs. I went to my pre-op appointment confident and lets say cocky. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted.

I had read about a type of surgery where they utilize your abdominal fat to reconstruct your breasts! Perfect I thought! A free tummy tuck and realistic perky breasts all at the same time! There is no decision right?................Wrong

My amazing surgeon presented me with all the options.

Option 1. use my abdominal fat while preserving all muscles.  Skin preserving mastectomy.

concerns:

a) massive scar 1 inch above my belly button all the way across from one hip to the other. Not exactly what I was expecting! And not exactly like the photos I had seen online. The surgeon showed me real photos. This is a massive ugly scar that I would have to hide. I know I would not feel comfortable bearing my mid section ever again with this scar.

b) 8-10 hours under a general anesthetic on the operating table. 12-16 weeks of recovery. c) And they are not 100% certain they can preserve the abdominal muscles until they actually open me up and find the vein that will be used to connect the new breast tissue and keep it alive. Sometimes the vein is hidden deep below the abdominal muscle and when the start digging around they end up doing more damage. In this case it is better to actually use one abdominal muscle to connect the new breast tissue. I have to sign a consent authorizing the surgeon to use the muscle if she has to. If I dont sign the consent, and she can't perform the simpler surgery, she will close me up and not complete the work.

Pros:

a) Realistic breasts, my own tissue, and a flatter abdomen.

Option 2. Use new cohesive gel implants which she described as a jelly donut.  They are made of a gummy bear type consistency with a hollowed center.  Skin Preserving Mastectomy.

concerns:

a) Not my own tissue.  They may look fake and feel fake. 

b) All of my breast tissue will be removed.  Therefore, there will be nothing except a layer of skin covering my implant.  This means that when I bend over or move in certain ways my breasts will look strange.  They may crease or wrinkle.

c) My body could reject the implants and I may have to start over from scratch.

d) No tummy tuck

Pros:

a) 3-4 hours of total surgery

b) 6 weeks of recovery

c) The implant is adjustable.  I will have a port for as long as I want.  The surgeon and adjust my size up or down as often as I like until I am happy.

I left the doctors office so upset, confused and stressed.  I was so sure that I knew what I wanted!  Now I was more confused than ever. 

I had about one week to make my decision.

Previvor



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your feedback, please share your experiences! I hope you find my blog inspiring.

If you dont design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone elses plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.
- Jim Rohn