Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Paleo Cure and CrossFit/TRX

Beginning a Paleo lifestyle wasn't easy at first. 

I found it very difficult to let go of my assumptions surrounding fats, nuts and natural sweeteners. For the first few months I was probably far more strict than the average paleolithic person. I stayed away from pork, animal fat, sweet potatoes, nuts, seeds and other foods that were on the "banned" list. By this time I had already lost 20lbs and as I continued to research paleo recipes and blogs, I learned about TRX and CrossFit Training. 

It wasn't long before I noticed how much energy I had, and how much "lighter" I felt after only 2 months. 

 I decided to start crossfit training combined with HIIT. Believe me, I had entrusted the skills of many personal trainers and paid for many gym memberships in the past....but this time it was different. I can't explain exactly why but it was just different. It all just felt right. I could not believe how much energy I had! How powerful I was! OMG I didn't become winded after 15 minutes on the eliptical.

 One day, it occurred to me during my 10:00am workout that I hadn't eaten yet. This was weird, I mean I didn't have my breakfast or my pre-workout protein shake. And what was even stranger was that I wasn't the least bit hungry and I still had plenty of energy to complete a very high intensity workout. Following my workout, I felt a little hungry so I ate until I my body felt satisfied and nourished. This pattern continued. I ate only when I was hungry and only enough to satisfy my body's requirements. 

 This likely sounds crazy to some but it was the most exhilarating feeling in the world. A diet of high in protein, vegetables, fruit, nuts and fats was meeting all of my body's needs at the cellular level. My skin began glowing, my nails were strong, and my hair was getting thicker and shinier by the day. Avocados, nuts, seeds, bacon, fish are all favorites of mine, and after discovering my severe lactose intolerance during my elimination, a lifestyle without dairy was very appealing. 

 Another positive...this lifestyle was very easy to incorporate into my daily routine. Everyone in my family eats meat therefore, I just have to throw my vegetables on the grill, or my salad together and were good to go.

 I think it is very important to emphasize that strength training such as TRX or crossfit, is a crucial part of the paleo lifestyle. I am sure that anyone who decides to make the switch to paleo will notice a decrease in body weight at the beginning, but I have no doubt that it will not sustain without the strength training.

 You must first understand how much effort I truly put into working out and fitness prior to paleo. I attended regular boot camps, worked out 3 days per week with personal trainers, jogged, and did weight lifting. This was continuous, it wasn't as though I would workout in January following a new years resolution and then fall off the wagon a few months later. I honestly never gave up. But I never saw results either until now.

 Combining Paleo with TRX and CrossFit provided the most drastic body formation results I have ever seen or felt. I was consistently losing 4lbs per week, and gaining muscle. After 12 weeks, you could clearly see the definition in my quads, biceps, and back muscles including the intertransversarii muscle. 

This was really important especially after I was in a very bad car accident in 2011. I had completed so many 12 week conditioning and strength programs in the past, but had never seen these type of results. I was truly getting STRONG for the first time in 7 years. I went from barely being able to complete one push up on my knees to being able to complete 12 push ups on my feet! 

 I noticed one day out of the blue that I was running up the stairs in my house without even realizing it. This gave me the courage to start running. 

I could not believe it, during my first session of my couch to 5k program, I was able to run for 5 full minutes without stopping! I had shed enough excess weight from my frame that I could easily carry myself. 

 I scrapped the couch to 5k program and simply ran a little further and a little longer each day. It wasn't long before running was relaxing and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your feedback, please share your experiences! I hope you find my blog inspiring.

If you dont design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone elses plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.
- Jim Rohn