Thursday, September 5, 2013

HOW MY ENTIRE LIFE CHANGED

When I say that I had an epiphany, that may sound crazy but I don't know how else to describe it. 

I am a career woman, I work hard at my job and I run my household.  I have always liked nice "things" like clothes, furnishings etc.  I have always felt that I work hard for my money and if I want to buy a new handbag I will or if I want to redecorate I will.  I guess you could say I was materialistic lol. 

I discovered that everything I needed in life was already around me.  I had everything, an amazing husband, wonderful kids, and I didn't need anything else.  Nothing at all. 

I now have no desire to buy things, or go shopping.  I could care less about new fashion or clothing.  I don't care about "stuff" at all.

This feels amazing, to finally after 38 years feel content and truly happy with what I have.  To feel completely full filled in life is something that I thought I had already but I was wrong.

Not only did I realize that I don't need material things, but also that I don't need acceptance from the people that I always thought I did.  I don't need approval from the people that I thought I did.  I realized that I would never ever get it.  No matter what, I would never truly be accepted by them or approved by them.  They will always think they are better, as a person, as a mother, as an employee, as a friend, parent etc.  So why have I wasted so many years of my life trying to please people who don't matter? The people who's opinions matter are those who can accept me for who I am and love me for who I am.


Why was I so worried about them judging me, or criticising me about my decision making, my parenting skills, my ethics or my values?  Who are they?  And better yet...where are they? 

I can finally stop living my life for others.

Living my life to make people happy who really are not a factor in my life is no longer an option. 



I am not perfect, and I make lots of mistakes.  But I am pretty freaking amazing!  I have a big heart, I have an enormous amount of empathy.  Too much according to my boss.  I have always put everyone else first, everyone else's needs and feelings first.  But not any more.  I discovered that if I am satisfied and content with myself, then I am a better person, a better mother and a better wife.  That's all that matters.  People can continue to judge, they can continue to criticise, that's okay with me.  I wont hold it against them:)  I just have more important things to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your feedback, please share your experiences! I hope you find my blog inspiring.

If you dont design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone elses plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.
- Jim Rohn