Thursday, September 5, 2013

Genetic Testing

Because of my body's reaction during surgery, I may have to undergo genetic testing or muscle cell testing for malignant hyperthermia at the Toronto General Hospital.

If I carry the mutation that causes this fatal reaction to general anesthetic then my children are at risk, and must undergo genetic testing. 

I was informed that the results can take months and in the mean time I could not ever be administered a general anesthetic.  There would be an alert placed on my health card and I need to get a medical alert bracelet. 

This contributed to more anxiety and more stress.  I had already inherited a heart defect that is extremely rare, what are the chances that the same person would also inherit a second rare condition? 

Malignant hyperthermia, WPW what else~!


Previvor

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your feedback, please share your experiences! I hope you find my blog inspiring.

If you dont design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone elses plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.
- Jim Rohn