Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A New Mindset.....A New Life

Listening to your own body.... 


I had heard this phrase many times but I was skeptical and assumed it was just another "myth". 

I was dead wrong. In fact, I had been listening to my body for a few years without even realizing it. 

While in CCU with WPW, the nurses and cardiologists were amazed that I could tell them when an episode of SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) was about to take place before it even appeared on the monitor. 

I could feel my blood pressure change from my head to my toes, it was actually a horrible feeling. I could feel my heart pause for a moment. Like when it was switching from normal sinus rhythm to SVT or Atrial fibrillation. This pause seemed like it lasted for seconds but in reality it was likely only a fraction of a second. When I would have episodes of atrial fibrillation, I could count my heart beats and fairly accurately determine my heart rate without any devices or using my fingers on my wrist. 

I was also able to tell when my heart reached a speed of more than 200 beats per minute. Basically because at that point there were no beats. 

 I began to harness this new skill. I could tell when a certain food caused a spike in my blood sugar, and what foods provided me with lasting energy. I also began to notice that I really wasn't hungry as often as I thought I was. This was perhaps the greatest realization of all! 

 How about consuming only the nutrients that your body requires, and only the amount that your body requires? I began to understand that even though I was trying to lose weight and get healthy all these years, I was actually completely consumed by food. It monopolized my entire being. 

When I wasn't preplanning my weekly menu, and making grocery lists, I was researching recipes. Every single item that I put in my mouth meant obsessing with calories and carbs. I would feel guilty for eating something normal such as bacon, or splurging on a piece of birthday cake. I can't even describe how much these thoughts consumed me. 

What happened next? Someone said to me...."why don't you try Paleo?" I began to research what Paleo was, and the more I learned, the more I loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your feedback, please share your experiences! I hope you find my blog inspiring.

If you dont design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone elses plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.
- Jim Rohn