Thursday, September 5, 2013

MY DECISION TO UNDERGO A PROPHYLACTIC SKIN SPARING BILATERAL MASTECTOMY

After much discussion with my husband, I finally came to a decision about which type of surgery I would have.


I decided to go with the breast implants.

Basically-the option of using my abdominal fat and tissue was just too risky and the recovery was too long.  I have a heart condition (WPW) and I we were concerned with how my heart would handle 8-10 hours on the operating table.  In addition, I have 4 kids at home, how could I possibly be out of commission for 12-16 weeks. 

Not only that...I forgot to mention that option 1 (using my abdominal tissue) would require a hospital stay of one week.  I would be given an epidural that would remain in place for 3 days minimum to manage the pain, plus a pain pump.  This really freaked me out!  How could I have an epidural for 3 days straight!  Toooooo Risky for me!

Option 2 (Implants) was a day surgery, no overnight hospital stay at all.  I was assured that I would wake up with new sexy breasts, stay in recovery for a couple of hours and then go home with some good drugs!

I went back to see the surgeon to let her know what I had decided.

We went over the pre-op, and post-op care.  She said that I would be in bed for 1 week, then getting up in week 2.  By week 3 I would be starting to help with kids lunches and light duties and by week 4 I would be driving them to school and preparing light meals.

She advised that I would need a care giver for weeks 1 and 2.  I would need to someone to bathe me, dress me, and administer my narcotics for pain relief. 

After the surgery we would wait about 3-4 months before reconstructing and tattooing my nipples.  This is so my breasts have time to settle into place and I have time to make sure I am happy with the size.

My husband took 2 weeks off from work to care for me and our 4 children.

I am going to tell you that we were 100% not prepared for what would happen next!



Previvor

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your feedback, please share your experiences! I hope you find my blog inspiring.

If you dont design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone elses plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.
- Jim Rohn