Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Paleo Sausage and Bacon Stuffed Manicotti

I really do not miss pasta at all since beginning paleo in 2012. 


I dont miss the gut pain, the headaches, the carb coma or the sugar cravings that follow a pasta dish!
Especially since there are so many delicious Paleo alternatives to pasta!

Today I am sharing with you my method for making stuffed manicotti, the Paleo Way!

I was preparing the typical ricotta stuffed manicotti with veal bolognese sauce for my gang (I was using veal because I had planned to cook myself veal stuffed pepper squash) when it occurred to me....why not make Paleo stuffed manicotti for myself?

Because I had already planned to use ground veal in my pepper squash (veal is the best in pepper squash) I decided to use chorizo sausage and bacon in my manicotti and save the veal.

I also had a gorgeous firm eggplant in the fridge.

Perfect! Eggplant manicotti stuffed with sausage, bacon, onions, garlic and daiyo cheese. Mmmmmmm!
It seriously was as good as it sounds!

My rule: Use whatever you have on hand! Ground beef, ground turkey, ground veal, substitute green peppers for red peppers, substitute red onion for spanish onion, substitute store bought marinara sauce for my homemade Pomodoro sauce! 

Paleo should be easy, and adaptable!   To be successful with this lifestyle you need to be comfortable making substitutions.  I was able to make a delicious "fasta" dish to enjoy along side my family's typical pasta dish using ingredients that I had on hand. 

If I had to prepare a list, go to the grocery store etc etc.....with 3 kids at home, a full time job, and night school.....well basically I would still be a size 14.

"Make Paleo fit your lifestyle" is my advice!

Someday I hope that everyone in my family will be converted to the Paleo lifestyle.   I am getting there, but its a slow process.  These were kids and a husband brought up on boxed foods, kraft dinner and McDonalds.  

Okay I'm exaggerating,  I have always loved to prepare home cooked meals but without knowing any better I used more processed foods and frozen boxed foods then I should have. 

Now the challenge is just getting them to try my paleo food.  Everything they have tried,  they have loved!

INGREDIENTS:

1 Large firm eggplant
1lb ground sausage
1/2lb bacon
3 garlic cloves
1 spanish onion diced
1tbsp italian seasoning
1 diced red pepper
Daiyo Cheese- or goat cheese, or leave this out all together
Coconut Oil or avocado Oil
Pomodoro Sauce☆
Sea Salt
Pepper


INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Peel and slice your eggplant, dont slice it too thin or it will not be strong enough to hold in all your goodies.

2.In a frying pan heat about 1 tbsp of coconut or Avocado oil intil it gets real hot!

3. Fry each slice of eggplant until golden brown and crispy (be careful not to burn) on each side, then transfer to a papertowl.

4. Once all slices are cooked an placed on paper towel, cover in another layer of paper towel and press down firmly to remove any excess liquid. Repeat this process until the eggplant slices are dry.

5. Let eggplant air dry and begin frying up your manicotti filling

6. Add you onion and garlic to the same pan (no need to rinse or clean) and saute until onions are clear and garlic is tender.

7. In the same pan, add your sausage and bacon, italian seasoning, sea salt and pepper and cook thoroughly. 

8. At the end, add the red pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes.  Theres nothing worse than over cooked mushy red pepper.

9. Once cooked thoroughly, use a strainer to remove oil/grease.

10. Add about 2tbsp of the meat mixture to each slice of eggplant, a sprinkle of daiyo cheese and roll.

11. Place each roll in a cast iron or pyrex dish

12. Cover the manicotti rolls with homemade Pomodoro sauce!

Bake uncovered at 375 for 20 minutes!

How to make homemade Pomodoro Sauce:
10 organic plum tomatos
3 garlic cloves
Handful of fresh basil
Sea salt
In a large sauce pan add all of the above ingredients and simmer (stirring occasionally) over low heat for about 40 minutes.
Then let cool.
Add the stewed tomato mixture to a blender or food processor and pulse until desires consistency.
Freeze in single serving air tight containers for use in all of your favorite paleo recipes!









3 comments:

  1. I made this last night for the whole gang! D ate it all and V asked for it in her lunch this morning:) Great instructions Amanda! Btw you looked so warm and cozy walking to the bus stop today, love the hat! (I watched from the window, too lazy) haha
    L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!! See its so easy! Hope people dont think I'm being stalked lol #Neighbours

      Delete

I would love to hear your feedback, please share your experiences! I hope you find my blog inspiring.

If you dont design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone elses plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.
- Jim Rohn