Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Rutabaga Latkes!

I love the convenience of grab and go foods! 

 

Especially when I'm on my way out the door for work in the morning.  Getting 3 lunches packed, kids all fed breakfast, a 6yr old dressed and hair done (like most moms) doesnt leave much time left for me to get ready.

 

I could get up earlier but I often dont fall a sleep at night until after 2am.  Therefore I choose sleep over looking beautiful for work every day!

I think I have finally mastered the Latke!  You can use rutabaga, sweet potato, zuchinni, or a combination of any root type vegetable. The trick is getting them crispy!

You dont need a recipe!! Dont worry about making these perfect and you should be able to throw them together even just to use up left over vegetables and throw in any seasonings you like.

Today I made RUTABAGA LATKES

This makes 6 latkes, you can freeze the extras,

1.  Cut off the root ends and peel the rutabaga

2. Grate the rutabaga over paper towel- I never get the whole thing grated, so I save the left over piece for rutabaga fries!

3. Cover the grated rutabaga with more paper towel and press down and squeeze and press as many times as possible to remove excess water, this may take more than one paper towel.

4. Let air dry for 1 hour then place all the grated rutabaga in a mixing bowl

5. Fry some bacon in a pan, as much as you like! This is to go along side your latkes + we need the grease!

6. Dice a spanish onion and saute in the remaining bacon grease until clear.

7. Using a straining spoon remove the onions and add them to the grated rutabaga. Leaving the bacon grease behind

8. Add 2 eggs, sea salt and any other seasonings you like.  I used lots basil, garlic and onion powder into the bowl with the grated rutabaga.

9. mix everything together really well, use your hands!

10. Preheat your oven to 400F

Now for the most important part!

11. Heat up your frying pan with the bacon grease, if you dont have much grease left add some EVOO, you must wait until the oil is very hot!

12. Using your hand grab a handful of the grated mixture and toss it in the pan , I usually cook 3 at a time.

13. Using a spatula continuously press down on each latke flattening them and squeezing out the liquids. Once one side is golden brown flip it over and repeat the process. 

14. When both sides are golden brown, place the latkes on a wire rack on a cookie sheet and bake for another 20 mins.

I think the hot grease combined with baking them on a wire rack really makes the difference!  






No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your feedback, please share your experiences! I hope you find my blog inspiring.

If you dont design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone elses plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.
- Jim Rohn